Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dream Stories - Russ Parker

Subtitled, ‘A Journey into the Bible’s Dreams and Visions’, Dream Stories explores a topic which tends to polarize people: either dismissing or accepting that dreams can have meaning for our lives.

The author has a long history of research into dreams. He has published several books and believes that understanding our dreams can help bring healing and wholeness into our lives. He is also a poet, demonstrating his creative talent throughout Dream Stories. Each chapter closes with a poem based on the final section entitled, ‘Making it Personal’. Here, Russ applies the message of that particular dream, helping the reader to see how the principles revealed can be applied in practical situations.

The book follows the chronological order of dreams and visions in Scripture, from Jacob’s dream at Bethel, to Paul’s vision of the Macedonian. Each chapter follows a similar format, with a Scripture quotation of the dream or vision, using a range of Bible versions throughout. A full explanation of the circumstances and context then follows, with the message of the dream or vision, what happens as a result of it, the application for the reader, and finally a prayer in the form of a poem.

This is not an exhaustive study of dreams and visions in Scripture, as the author points out, but nevertheless it is an excellent introduction to the topic, as sixteen of the major dreams or visions, that many people are familiar with, are covered in this 160 page volume.

I particularly enjoyed the two chapters on Nebuchadnezzar’s dreams, from the Old Testament and Joseph’s dreams, in the New Testament. There were many aspects of the context of the dream or vision that were new to me, and I found many of the dream applications helpful, being able to apply several of them to myself. The poem prayers provided a reflection and helped to sum up the main points brought out within the chapter just covered.

Although I have never received a dream which I felt was from God, I have had visions and pictures. Some of these have been related to areas of ministry which, in time, have actually begun emerge. As a result of reading this book, I will now pay more attention to my dreams and ask the Lord to speak to me when I sleep. Dream Stories has stimulated my interest in dreams and visions. I hope it does for you too.

No comments: